Urban development experts came together for the 9th World Urban Forum in Kuala Lumpur from February 7 - 13 to assess progress made in implementing the United Nation’s New Urban Agenda. At a networking event, representatives from six project preparation facilities (PPFs) - including the C40 Cities Finance Facility - and the Green Climate Fund discussed strategies for accelerating investments in the urban transition through project preparation for local sustainable infrastructure. The event continued the Cities Climate Finance Leadership Alliance’s (CCFLA) efforts to mobilise investment in low-emission, climate-resilient urban infrastructure through collaboration.
Participants shared insights on their respective organisation's areas of engagement and current developments. All participants reiterated the need for increased cooperation, dialogue and knowledge sharing as a key requirement for advancing successful project preparation. As the core of their cooperation under the CCFLA framework, panelists underlined the need to better understand the different project preparation approaches and increase the frequency of interaction.
Following the first CCFLA Project Preparation Practitioners Forum at COP23, supported by the C40 Cities Finance Facility and which also called for increased knowledge sharing, participating organisations agreed on a Joint Declaration of Intent at the event. With this declaration, organisations active in the area of project preparation support commit to participate in regular exchanges, publish a joint annual report on recommendations, experiences and subjects relevant for project preparation support and contribute to the development of CCFLA knowledge products. The declaration is open for other organisations active in the field of project preparation support.
The Declaration commits its signatories to:
- Participate in regular exchanges among practitioners, and co-organise Project Preparation Practitioners Forums;
- Publish a joint annual report on recommendations, experiences and subjects relevant for project preparation support;
- Contribute to the development of CCFLA knowledge products, as defined in the CCFLA workplan;
- Allocate resources including the assignment of a dedicated focal person for the above-mentioned activities.
- Jörn Meyer (Opening Remarks) - GIZ
- Katharina Schneider-Roos (Opening Remarks) - Global Infrastructure Basel (GIB)
- Martin Dirr (Moderator)- Head, C40 Cities Finance Facility (GIZ)
- Thomas Hagedorn - Advisor, Capacity Development, CDIA
- Clément Larrue - AFD, CICLIA
- Kevin Austin - Deputy Executive Director, C40 Cities Climate Leadership Group
- Drazen Kucan - Senior Urban Development and Energy Efficiency Specialist, Division Adaptation and Mitigation, Green Climate Fund (GCF)
- Mariana Flores - Regional Director for Latin America, FMDV
- Pradana Murti - Head of Project Development Division, PT Sarana Multi Infrastruktur (Persero) (PT SMI)